Saturday, July 18

Plastic carrier bags down


It is great to see that supermarkets have cut the number of free plastic carrier bags given out at the checkouts. 48% is an impressive cut and the environmental groups are correct in saying that it shows what businesses and people are capable of doing when they put their minds to it.

I have been using the stronger plastic multiple use bags for some 7 years now. In fact one lasted about 6 years before needing to be recycled and replaced. The trick of remembering to take one when shopping, is to keep one or two folded up in your jackets/coats. In any case, after a while it becomes habitual to look for a bag before you go to the shops.

I actually started this blog because of plastic bags spotted in hedgerows and trees. Hopefully the original subject that got me blogging will be one I won't have to return to in the future?
However there is still a lot of plastic packaging to deal with, we'll have to see how quickly things change.

4 comments:

Steve said...

If only they'd get rid of all that plastic-blister packaging for food/electronics goods/fragile items our rubbish bin have more room at the end of the fortnight.

Don't get me started about polystyrene ... terrible stuff.

TheVille said...

polystyrene seems to be used less these days. Although I might have just been lucky.

I know Philips abandoned the use of polystyrene a number of years ago.

Really the only waste that doesn't go in my recycle bin is plastics and a few bones and fat.

I tend to edit my purchases based on packaging. Hence i rarely eat crisps and snacks these days. Although 'Red Sky' do some eco friendlier crisps, with bags partly made from paper.

Anonymous said...

my personl bug-bear are those plastic bags people use for fruit and veg. People always seem to reel off too many and leave them scrunched up for someone else to pick up. They're really not needed especially for single lage items like a cabbage of swede.

How are the vegetagles going guys? i'm likeing the free rain but the wind is causing havoc!

Danners

TheVille said...

I'm not in charge of the garden.

But the beans are leaning over like the leaning tower of Pisa.